Friday, April 3, 2015

Novelty Brooch Friday - April

As with last year there has been some incredible makers of brooches.  It's already April and the maker this month is no exception.  I have been following Rebekah of @Forgottenstitches on Instagram for a while now and enjoying her Etsy shop Forgotten Stitches

Using soft materials to create a magical universe of animals, ladies, flora and novelty pieces, she manages to bring to life a romantic, whimsical time so perfectly.

Forgotten Stitches

Thank you Rebekah for agreeing to be April's maker and offering your time and a beautiful brooch to one lucky person this month for Novelty Brooch Friday.




I asked Rebekah a few questions about her work and influences:


How long have you been making your creations in soft materials?
I have been sewing and making dolls since I was a little girl, and I decided to start making things for other people as Forgotten Stitches about 8 years ago.

You like to use recycled and vintage materials; do you start with the materials when making your creations or the concept?
Both! Sometimes when I find a new piece of fabric I know straight away what to make with it, but at other times a doll I have started almost seems to tell me what clothes or fabrics to dress her in!

Do you have any influences and artists that inspire your work?
I'm a bit of a magpie when it comes to influences, and will pick up ideas from a whole range of work and artists from certain eras, so it's hard to pick out individuals.

Are there any era's in art/fashion/textiles in particular that are interested in?
I am heavily inspired by the art, design, music and style of the 30s, 40s and 50s, and I particularly love old Edwardian postcards, posters and covers. I sometimes feel I was born in the wrong decade!


Can you give any advice to people who would like to make their craft/art into a business?

I'm still learning so I don't know if I'm the best source of advice! But I suppose I would say that the internet gives you the whole world as an audience, so if you stick to making things that you love there will always be people out there who feel the same way. I'm always pleased and surprised when a customer pops up from the other side of the world!

Thank you again Rebekah for agreeing to be April's Novelty Brooch Friday maker.  If you would like to read more about Rebekah's creations for Forgotten Stitches you can in the following places:

Etsy Shop: Forgotten Stitches

This month's brooch you can all be in with a chance to add to your collections,  will be a custom made horse brooch, similar to one of these fabulous horses.

If you are new to Novelty Brooch Friday all you need to do is post a photo of yourself and one of your favourite brooches to Instagram on any Friday this month and use the hashtag #noveltybroochfriday to be in with a chance (the winner will be chosen at random using the Random Number App).  

See you soon on Instagram and happy brooching!
xxx

If you're a brooch maker/designer or vintage seller of brooches and would like to donate a beautiful brooch to the giveaway and have your shop featured, please email me with a little info about your designs and shop and hopefully i'll get you a spot on the calendar.  

tunabake at hotmail dot com

No comments:

Post a Comment